Importance of Range
In Evony, each military unit has a range. This range is the distance at which that unit can attack from. Before I continue, I will review each unit’s un-upgraded range:
Worker Range = 10
Warrior Range = 20
Swordsman Range = 30
Pike-man Range = 50
Cataphract Range = 80
Cavalry Range = 100
Battering Ram Range = 600
Archer Range = 1,200
Archer Tower Range = 1,300
Ballista Range = 1,400
Catapult Range = 1,500
Now, let’s move on to the basic information on range in Evony:
- The lowest ranged unit is the Worker, and the highest ranged unit is the Catapult.
- Each unit has an un-upgraded starting range, which I have stated above.
- Once a type of unit is in range to attack another enemy unit, they will attack. Any other units that you have that are not in range to attack yet, will advance by their individual speed.
- The battle will start at the highest range on either side. Basically, the highest range from either the offense or the defense will initiate the battle. If someone has a Ballista, the battle will start at 1,400. If the highest range out of both sides is a Swordsman, the battle will start at 30.
- The Archery Technology raises the range of your archers by 5% per technology level researched.
Now, I’m sure many of you have already put two and two together. However, I’ll break it down for you just to make sure:
- Whichever side has the higher range will get at least 1 free round of shots at the opponents which could easily turn the battle. This is because the archers with say 1250 range will start the battle 1250. Unfortunately for the opponent, his/her archers cannot shoot until a range of 1200 which forces them to walk forward while they are picked off.
- This ties completely into the Archery Technology. At this point in the Evony game, Archery Technology is by far the most important in the game. Mainly, this is because whoever has the higher range, will gain an unimaginable advantage. For example, you could have 1,000 archers with level 8 Archery, and your opponent has 2,000 archers with level 3 Archery, and you will easily win the battle. I will go more in detail about the Archery Technology in a later guide release.
Now, I’ll move on to fortifications and, more importantly, Archer Towers.
Look up again, and you’ll notice that Archer Towers is italicized and bolded. You’ll also notice that it has 100 more range than regular archers. Thus, Towers always get at least 1 free round of shots on your archers. Thus, it is so hard to defeat Archer Towers, unless your Archery Technology level is much higher than the opponent’s.
I will talk more about the amazing units, Ballista and Catapult in a later article. Please stay tuned, and I hope you understand the importance of range now.
"No1 dies a virgin, life screws us all"